February 9, 2013

Spicy Plantain Masala / Vazhakai Masala

Before jumping into my to spicy masala, I would love to share my favourite online store.. Actually there are lots of genuine online stores and one of my favourite is Flipkart. Recently we ordered for few stuffs and they delivered on time... Not only that I had received couple of gifts in this blogging world which got delivered through flipkart... Am was very happy that it reached very safe and on time:)

And coming to my today's recipe.... This is my favourite style of preparing plantain masala which I learnt from one of my aunty.. Whenever I prepare this, the aroma n flavors from the masala makes me very nostalgic. Very spicy masala with the delicious flavor of ground fennel seeds.. This can be served with any rice varieties but personally I love this with Curd rice.. The same masala can be roasted in a tawa after it gets cooked to prepare a spicy plantain roast... Check the variation below..




Ingredients :
  • 2 Plantains ( Vazhakai ), peeled and chopped into cubes
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Tsp Saunf
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut, grated
  • 1 Tbsp Oil
  • 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1 Tsp Chilli powder
  • Salt to taste
  • Handful of coriander leaves, for garnishing

Method :
  • Grind the chopped onion, grated coconut and saunf to a fine paste. Keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and add the cubed plantains.
  • Saute for a minute and add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt,
  • Now add the ground masala and mix well.
  • Simmer it for 10 minutes or until the plantains gets cooked.
  • At this stage add oil, if necessary and mix well.
  • Garnish with the coriander leaves and remove from the flame.
  • Serve with rice.


Serving Options :

Serve with sambhar rice, curd rice or any rice varieties.

Variation : 

To make plantain dry roast, just remove from the pan after it gets cooked and roast in a tawa by smearing little oil.



Linking this with Spicy chilly's " My Spicy Recipe "





16 comments:

  1. tempting masala dear.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love raw plaintains... would really try this one soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Just simple rasam rice is enought..It will be a delicious combo with this spicy masala :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very flavorful n tasty preparation...sounds delicious n great with any Indian meal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this curry with sambar sadham............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding and sharing this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...super yummy delicious... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't tried so far this way Priya..Nice way to bring something exotic from vazhakai..

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy masala,Haven't tried plantain this way..Thanx for sharing!!
    Love to see your recipe linked up in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Mexican"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do make vazhakkai poriyal and vathakkal. This is an interesting recipe! Love the addition of coconut and saunf making it a moist and perfect spicy accompaniment!

    Excited to have your recipe for my event.Thanks a bunch for participating! Wishing you all the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. my favorite dish , you can check on baggout

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for delicious dish item and my favorite store is Rediff Coupons

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing this recipe its too delicious wforwomen coupons

    ReplyDelete